BRCOne Friday, a knock at the door of the Red Cross centre in Beckenham, Kent, resulted in a cry for help. Alison Roche, community based first aid co-ordinator, opened the door and was confronted by a young man choking on a chicken bone.
The young man and a friend had purchased some chicken and chips and were walking down the road munching when the bone became stuck in his throat. Seeing the British Red Cross sign, he immediately knocked at the door for help.
Rushing to help
Alison called for additional help but by the time two other staff members rushed down from the first floor Alison had helped the young man dislodge the chicken bone. He was invited into the centre as he was visibly shocked and given a drink and somewhere to recover. After a short while he was able to continue with his journey, visibly greatful for the help he had recieved.
Pamela Chapman, operations manager, said: "It was great that the young man recognised what we stood for and asked for help."
Learn first aid
More about the Red Cross in London
History of the Red Cross