20 February 2013
Burundian refugees are facing serious health risks as they return home, having had their refugee status revoked by the Tanzanian Government.
At the end of 2012 the Tanzanian Government closed Mtabila refugee camp and revoked the refugee status for the majority of the Burundian refugees living in the camp. Almost 34,000 Burundian refugees have been repatriated.
Support to returnees
The British Red Cross has given £40,000 from its Disaster Fund to support water, sanitation and hygiene programmes in the wake of several cholera outbreaks. These will focus on latrine construction, water treatment and hand-washing.
The Burundi Red Cross is supporting returning refugees by:
- promoting health and hygiene
- monitoring for disease epidemics
- providing first aid and psychosocial support
- improving sanitation and access to clean water
- helping returnees integrate with their host communities
- advising people on obtaining national identity documents and accessing government services.
Donate to our Disaster Fund to help us respond to future crises