Coming soon: teach young people first aid
Give your students the skills and confidence to help in a first aid crisis
We're creating a range of brand new, free, interactive teaching resources to help you teach first aid to 11 – 19 year olds.
The resources are:
- intended to help young people learn basic first aid skills and equip them with the confidence and willingness to act in a first aid emergency
- designed to be accessible and straightforward for you to use.
The new resources will be launched in time for the new school term. Sign up to be the first to know when the resources are live.
- Designed for 11 – 19 year olds, using technology and contexts relevant to them.
- Covers 16 first aid topics, brought to life by realistic scenarios.
- Lesson plan templates with curriculum links which can be tailored to your teaching needs.
- Activities for different age groups, ability levels and settings.
- Debate and discussion topics supported by prompt questions.
- Videos, case studies, online quizzes, step-by-step guides and role play activities.
Learning is delivered through emotive videos and engaging case studies, using realistic scenarios to help young people explore the roles of casualties, helpers, bystanders, friends and family in different first aid situations. These powerful resources will prompt thought-provoking discussions and interactive lessons.
The resources have been designed specifically to support you in teaching young people of this age range, using technology and contexts relevant to them, to encourage engagement and create an effective learning experience.
Online quizzes, step by step guides and role play activities are all used to support young people's learning around this important life skill.
Looking to teach first aid now?
Follow our ‘First aid basics’ lesson plans in one or two sessions to give students aged 11-16 a taste of first aid learning from the Life. Live it. programme.
These lesson plans are designed to help you teach basic first aid to 11-16 year olds.
First aid basics 1
Young people will learn:
a) to consider why it is important to learn first aid
b) why their own safety must always come first
c) how to assess if someone is unconscious
d) how to help someone who is unconscious and breathing
e) what to say and do if they make an emergency call.
First aid basics 1: Lesson plan
First aid basics 1: PowerPoint
Casualty cards (optional)
First aid basics 2
Young people will learn:
a) how to help someone who is choking
b) how to treat a burn
c) what to do if someone is bleeding heavily from a wound
d) how to treat a sprain or strain.
First aid basics 2: Lesson plan
First aid basics 2: PowerPoint