22 June 2012
22 June 2012
For further information
Nichola Jones 020 7877 7618 NJones@redcross.org.uk
Out of office hours pager: 07659 145095
British Red Cross emergency teams are responding to the emergency situation caused by flooding and heavy traffic at the Isle of Wight Festival; and has been supporting organisers of the event, ambulance services and helping stranded revellers.
Donna Taylor, the British Red Cross senior emergency response and planning officer said: “Red Cross teams of staff and volunteers have been out responding to the disruptions caused by the wet weather at the festival. We deployed a team last night [Thursday 21 June] to support emergency services; and have been attending to first aid incidents helping the injured within the festival area itself.
“Our event first aid teams are on hand to assist people and are primarily based in the Strawberry Fields and Big Top area of the site, as well as being on foot patrol and on-call to support other emergency services across the camp.”
With widespread showers forecast to continue falling at the weekend, the Red Cross is urging revellers on the isle and the public to be prepared at all times, with the right clothing, food, equipment and contingency plans.
The British Red Cross is advising people in flood risk areas to prepare by doing the following:
• Prepare an emergency kit including emergency numbers, blankets, first aid kit, torch and water, food supplies.
• Keep important personal items and documents in a sealed bag.
• Pack essential items you will need for your journey – medication, clothing, toiletries and waterproof gear, wellies etc.
• Don't walk, swim or drive through floodwater – just six inches of fast-flowing water can knock you over and two feet will float a car!
• Don't walk on sea defences or riverbanks, cross river bridges if possible.
• Avoid contact with floodwater – it may be contaminated with sewage.
• Don’t allow children to play in or near flood water
For more information on flood preparedness, please visit:
Notes to editors
• For press enquires, images or to arrange an interview, please contact Nichola Jones on 02078777618 / NJones@redcross.org.uk
• To download the British Red Cross first aid app, please visit the Android Market, iTunes and Blackberry Appworld.
• The app has been optimised for Apple iPhone, Android mobile and Blackberry mobile devices, but will also work on Apple iPad, Apple iPod Touch, Android Tablets and Blackberry PlayBooks.
• 3 Sided Cube is UK-based computer software and mobile applications developers. For more information, visit: http://3sidedcube.com/#about
The British Red Cross helps people in crisis, whoever and wherever they are. We are part of a global voluntary network, responding to conflicts, natural disasters and individual emergencies.
We enable vulnerable people in the UK and abroad to prepare for and withstand emergencies
in their own communities. And when the crisis is over, we help them to recover and move on
with their lives.