accessibility & help

First aid mum saves her choking baby son

30 July 2010

Woman treats a choking baby© InfoA young mother experienced every parent’s worst nightmare when she found her infant son choking and turning blue – but luckily she had the first aid skills to save his life.

Jane*, a mother from London, only recently completed a Red Cross save a life: child and baby first aid course. She then had to act quickly when a routine day with her young children took a sudden, terrifying turn.

Jane recalled: "I'd just fed my boys their tea and gone to the kitchen to get yoghurts for pudding. When I came back in the lounge, my eight-month-old Matthew* was going blue and obviously couldn't breathe.

“I picked him up so I could see if there was anything in his mouth, but I couldn't. I was shouting ‘Did you see him swallow anything?’ at his poor brother because I didn't know whether it was a toy or food, or something else.”

Life-saving intervention

The situation quickly deteriorated. Jane added: “By this point, Matthew was going really blue and still and glassy-eyed – I really thought I was losing him. I turned him upside down and thumped his back, at the same time grabbing the phone and dialling 999. I kept thumping and thankfully whatever it was must have dislodged as he started moving, coughing and crying, and his colour came back.

“Nothing came out, so I still don't know for sure what it was – but I'm guessing maybe the rice was a bit clumpy and he'd kept some balled up in his cheek or something.

“The paramedics arrived quickly – in just ten minutes, I'd say – but if I hadn't acted immediately that would have been way too late. They checked Matthew over but I already knew by then that he was okay.”

‘I knew what to do’

The whole incident had quite an impact on Jane. She said: “I was in shock for at least a day afterwards – and had flashbacks of his blue, glassy-eyed face for a couple of days after that – but they're subsiding now, thankfully. I've never been so scared or felt so helpless but, in reality, I wasn't helpless. I don't think I’d consciously thought about my first aid course before, but somehow everything had sunk in and I knew exactly what to do. Without being too overdramatic, I probably saved my little boy’s life.

“Everything happened in an instant and was all over so quickly – but the outcome could have been very different. So if you haven't done a first aid course, I'd really recommend it!"

*Names have been changed

How to treat a choking casualty

First aid tips and videos

Become a first aid volunteer

Read our how to save a baby's life blog

Related Tags:

Related

Icon of person wearing sling Learn first aid

Be ready to respond in any emergency

Sign up for emails

Enter your email address below to receive the latest Red Cross news