This 12-acre garden descends dramatically from the hill above the house through woodland down to the terraces with wide lawns, roses, mixed borders and topiary. The stone balustrades and staircases date back to 1860 and the origin of the garden dates back to 1600. The ivy house, the grotto and the pebble garden are the more recent additions to the garden. A children’s garden with hidden jets of water provides fun for younger visitors. Refreshments, teas and homemade cakes will be served in the Great Hall.
Date:20 Aug 2017
Address:Englefield House, Theale, Berkshire, RG7 5EN
From junction 12 of the M4 take the A4 towards Newbury. At the second roundabout, take the A340 towards Pangbourne, and after half a mile turn left to Englefield. At the end of the village turn right and follow signs to the garden.
Garden owner:Mr and Mrs Richard Benyon
Map Details: skip