Originally planted in 1866 by Edward Wheatley-Balme, High Close Arboretum was designed in the fashion of the day using many of the recently discovered ‘exotic’ conifers and evergreen shrubs coming into Britain from America. Today the garden contains a variety of tree species, many of which are the remains of the original Victorian plantings. Beautiful Lakeland vistas and terraces are all part of the restoration work. Guided tours are available through the day. The tearoom with sheltered veranda is also open. Entry is by donation.
Date:14 Oct 2017
Address:Loughrigg, Ambleside, Cumbria, LA22 9HH
From Ambleside (ten-minute drive northwest): take the A593 to Skelwith Bridge signed for High Close, turn right and head uphill until you see a white painted stone sign to ‘Langdale’. Turn left, High Close Estate (and parking) on left. From Grasmere: (eightminute drive south-east) head south-east on Easedale Rd then turn right on B5287 towards Broadgate. Turn right onto Red Bank and then turn left to stay on Red Bank. Continue straight on for 0.2 miles and High Close will be on left.
Garden owner:National Trust
The tearoom with sheltered veranda is also open.
Telephone:07738 944 551
Map Details: skip