accessibility & help

How we helped young rugby fan make the big game

When sports fan Osian Nash broke his leg, the most upsetting thing for him was the prospect of missing out on his favourite rugby team’s biggest game of the year.

The rugby-mad nine-year-old, who plays for his local under-tens team in Beddau, south Wales, recently fractured his tibia during a training session.

That meant being in a full leg cast for nine weeks. And struggling to hop around on a pair of crutches provided by the hospital.

Transport difficulty

Osian’s mum, Anne, recalled: “It became very difficult for us to drive anywhere as a family, since his leg took up most of the back seat. His brother and sister couldn’t fit in the car.

“And obviously, poor Osian couldn’t go very far on the crutches, so we were all a bit stuck.”

What’s more, the accident had happened at exactly the worst time – just before Osian’s beloved Cardiff Blues were due to take on the Ospreys at Millennium Stadium.

Friendly and helpful

However, help was at hand. Anne said: “We asked the hospital about borrowing a wheelchair and they suggested the British Red Cross’ mobility aids service.

“I called their Newport office and they said we could take a wheelchair straight away. It was very straightforward and everyone was really helpful.”

Anne continued: “Having the wheelchair was a huge help. It made things such as going to the shops, attending hospital appointments and taking family trips so much easier.”

‘Valuable service’

“But the highlight was being able to go to the Millennium Stadium after all, where we had a great view of the match.”

It could have been a very difficult time for the Nash family, but Anne remembers: “The wheelchair made all our lives so much easier. It is such a valuable service.”


Find your nearest...

  • Health & support services 

Social care stories

After a stroke landed him in hospital for ten months, Randolph wasn’t ready to face the world again – until we lent a hand.

When disabled pensioner Maureen Gallagher needed extra support at home, the Red Cross stepped in to help.