Learn first aid.
- Always listen carefully to the advice of the emergency services – and follow their instructions.
- Make a list of your important telephone numbers and write down your plan of action including reminders of what to take if you need to leave your home quickly.
- Lock all doors and windows if you have to leave your home.
- Tell someone who is close to you where you are and where you are going.
- Keep your mobile phone and charger with you at all times.
- Try and remain calm – it really helps in an emergency.
- Check to see if your neighbours need help.
- Think about how you can help your neighbours and vulnerable or elderly people.
- Decide what you can do to protect your pets and animals.
Here is a compendium of useful websites listed throughout the prepare for the unexpected site.
Drought and water saving tips
Severe weather in winter
Fire prevention and safety
First aid for all
Pets and emergencies
Emergencies in schools
Emergencies in business