20 March 2020
British Red Cross to close shops after Saturday to keep volunteers, staff and customers safe
- British Red Cross to close shops after Saturday to keep volunteers, staff and customers safe
- The British Red Cross operates a network of over 300 charity shops across the UK
- All shops will close from end of business on Saturday 21 March
- Shops will remain closed until the current social restrictions due to Covid-19 are updated
- The British Red Cross eBay store and online gift shop will continue to operate as normal
- The British Red Cross is extremely grateful for the continued support of customers and donors but is asking people to kindly not leave donations or deliveries outside of shops while they are closed
- Alternative opportunities for staff and volunteers are being explored over the coming days, until the shops can be reopened
Paul Thompson, Director of Retail and Community Fundraising for the British Red Cross, said:
“I am deeply saddened to advise that, at this unprecedented time, we have taken the decision to temporarily close our shops across the country.
“The wellbeing of our staff, volunteers and supporters is paramount to us and is at the heart of all our decision-making. We have a duty of care to keep them safe during this time. This, alongside a critical mass of circumstances, makes this the right thing to do.
“We have over 6,500 volunteers supporting our shops and retail work, they are the lifeblood of our work. We will continue to support them and our staff however we can during this uncertain time.”
For more information:
- 0207 877 7557 (office hours)
- 07710 391 703 (out of hours)