Borrow a wheelchair
You can borrow a wheelchair from the British Red Cross for a single trip or for short-term use. Reserve it online and collect it from a British Red Cross branch. You can get one for you or for someone else.
You can reserve a wheelchair:
- you can push yourself (self-propelled)
- someone else can push (transit)
- to suit your size and weight – from extra small (suitable for children over five) to extra large
You can keep a wheelchair for up to 6 weeks (with a possible extension to 12). You can also buy a wheelchair from us.
How much it costs
This depends on where you live. In some locations, we charge for the service. In other places, we ask for a donation.
When you search for your local location, it will say whether it will charge. You can view a list of our charges. This fee helps us to cover the cost of the service.
If you cannot afford the charge, please contact your local service to discuss this as we may be able to help.
Before you start
You'll need to know:
- the approximate weight of the wheelchair user
- if they have health conditions that may prevent them using it
- if they need a leg extension or any other accessories. If they do, you won't be able to reserve online. Instead please call us on 0300 456 1914.
You can only reserve equipment online if you are able to come and collect it. If you need one delivered to you please call us on 0300 456 1914 and we’ll do our best to help.
Call us on 0300 456 1914.