28 April 2021
Red Cross responding to critical situation in India
- India is currently in the grips of an overwhelming new wave of coronavirus, with the number of cases surging by more than 320,000 a day, a grim world record.
- Indian Red Cross has been providing ambulance services, additional first aid, medical care and oxygen to some of the sickest people.
- Over 46,000 Red Cross staff and volunteers across 550 districts in India are supporting COVID-19 response efforts
- Red Cross also working closely with authorities to care for those who need it most, including the elderly, single mothers, and people with disabilities.
- Indian Red Cross are also supporting the vaccination campaign, including providing vaccinations and running vaccine awareness campaigns, as well as offering Red Cross clinics and medical facilities as vaccination centres.
- British Red Cross Global Coronavirus appeal to raise money for those most at risk of terrifying new surge of coronavirus. Donate at: redcross.org.uk/indiaappeal
Right now, the situation in India is critical. For the last five days, over 320,000 positive cases of coronavirus have been recorded in India daily. More than 3,000 people have lost their lives every day, with these numbers expected to rise dramatically.
Its hospitals are full, its streets are lined with ambulance queues and its crematoriums are running out of space.
Over 46,000 Red Cross staff and volunteers across 550 districts in India are supporting COVID-19 response efforts. Our colleagues at the Indian Red Cross Society are providing ambulance services, first aid, medical care, and oxygen within Indian communities. The Red Cross is also working closely with authorities to care for those who need it most, including the elderly, single mothers, and people with disabilities.
British Red Cross is calling for people to donate to the Global Coronavirus Appeal where all of the money raised in the next two weeks will rel="noopener noreferrer" go to India. Donate at: redcross.org.uk/indiaappeal
Notes to editor:
The British Red Cross
For 150 years, the British Red Cross has helped people in crisis, whoever and wherever they are. We are part of a global voluntary network, responding to conflicts, natural disasters and individual emergencies. We enable vulnerable people in the UK and abroad to prepare for and withstand emergencies in their own communities. And when the crisis is over, we help them recover and move on with their lives. redcross.org.uk