Do you really need to learn first aid skills? How useful could they be in your day-to-day life? Read our true stories and see for yourself.
We love to hear from people who have helped in a first aid emergency. We share these stories in our first aid blog, on our social media channels, in our newsletters and sometimes in the media, as they help to spread the word about the importance of learning first aid.
If you have a first aid story to share, please email email@example.com with your name, telephone number and some brief details about what happened. We will only use your information to contact you about your first aid story.
Read people's stories
When Leanne Barnett spotted her baby having a febrile seizure, her first aid knowledge helped give her daughter the support she needed.
Because Zoe Tootle knew first aid, she was able to help her dad in his moment of crisis.
Sharon Mews acted quickly to help someone who was unresponsive and not breathing.
Mum Vikki Stow describes the terrifying moment when her baby daughter got burned.
Tim Connor knew how to help when his colleague Tony was having a heart attack.
Raluca Corneanu stepped in to help when she saw a man lying on the floor at a London Underground station.
When Lindsay Ritchie’s four-year-old son started choking, she remembered a video she’d seen on the British Red Cross’ Facebook page and knew what to do.
Rowena Vithlani learnt first aid after giving birth to her daughter – but little did she know that her decision to do so would help save another baby’s life.
Adam Banks knew first aid - but when he came across a man having a seizure, having the British Red Cross’ First Aid App in his pocket gave him a confidence boost.
Natasha Waters knew she had to help when she came across an elderly woman on the floor, bleeding heavily from her leg.
Fortunately Ryan Gayler knew what to do when there was a clash of heads during a friendly football match.
While out running one day, Aaron Howlett helped a woman who was having a seizure.
On the day Julie Durrant saw a baby choke in a supermarket, nobody came to help. So she stepped in.
Ugo Eboh acted quickly when his baby son choked on a 20p coin.
Helen Cowan’s first aid knowledge saved a life when she helped a motorcyclist with a badly severed leg.
16-year-old Anmol knew how to help because she learned first aid in school.
When Josh began to feel unwell and dizzy whilst cycling, passers-by stopped to help.