19 March 2018
News - British Red Cross commits to joint statement at the safeguarding summit
On 5 March 2018, the UK Department for International Development (DFID) and the Charity Commission co-hosted, with support from the international development network Bond, a safeguarding summit.
UK international development charities, regulatory bodies, the Government and independent safeguarding experts all attended.
We all agreed to five commitments across the sector which include:
- We will demonstrate accountability to beneficiaries and survivors
- We will demonstrate a step change in shifting organisational culture
- We will ensure that safeguards are integrated throughout the employment cycle
- We will ensure full accountability through rigorous reporting and complaints mechanisms
- We will ensure that concerns are heard and acted on.
We have committed to monitoring progress of these actions for review at a wider safeguarding conference to be held later in 2018.