Creating connections with others
Tips on making new connections and strengthening those you already have.
Sometimes it can be difficult to make new connections. If you don’t know someone well, it can be hard to get a conversation going.
Here are some steps you can take to help making new connections easier for you.
Web of connections
We all have people we are connected to, even if we don’t always keep in touch with them regularly. These connections can include your local community, friends and family and social media connections.
This short film gives you a way to think about these connections. It includes an activity to help you to think about your own web of connections.
Connections and resilience
Resilience is how well we can cope in spite of setbacks, or barriers, or limited resources (such as money or connections). Planning and making these new connections will help make you more resilient.
Watch this video for ideas on how you can use that in your everyday life, including when making new connections.
Making contact with organisations
We all have to contact organisations such as the Council, a GP's surgery, a workplace or the Red Cross sometimes. Calling or writing to someone you don’t know can be hard. However, it is like making a new connection.
Look at steps 1-4 on the section above called 'Making new connections'. How can you do the same when you are contacting an organisation? Make a list of the people and other resources you have that can help.
Next, follow these steps when making contact with an organisation:
- Gather up any information you will need and have it next to you – letters, facts, phone numbers. This makes you fully prepared for your call or letter.
- Plan what you are going to say in advance: you can write it down, for example: How do you think this will help you be confident?
- Remember to stay calm. Be factual and polite, so you stay in control.
- Take a note of what you have said. That way you can go back to it if you need to.
More resources you might find useful
The British Red Cross has created a range of resources for building confidence and connecting with others. You can find out more about the project or click the links below to get started.
- Make and share more connections
- Pass on your knowledge and skills
- The kind place
- Dealing well with changing relationships