Get support at home
You can get support and care from the British Red Cross to help you live independently at home or when you return after a stay in hospital.
This page is available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
If you're returning from hospital, we make sure you have everything you need for your first 24 to 72 hours back at home.
We may then provide up to 12 weeks of support depending on the level of help you need.
What help you will get
We'll assess your needs and help you decide what goals you want to achieve with our help. We can offer practical and emotional support including:
- transport home from hospital
- door-to-door transport for essential health-care journeys
- help with everyday tasks (for example, picking up prescriptions and shopping)
- rebuilding confidence
- help arranging for bills to be paid
- short-term use of a wheelchair and toilet aids.
Our volunteers receive full training to support you in meeting your goals.
How to get help
You can be referred by someone else (such as a hospital, primary care trust or your GP) or you can contact your local service yourself.
Support for carers
We offer support for carers in a few limited locations in the UK.
Contact your local support at home service to find out if we offer help in your area.