Help us make a difference, one penny at a time.
With over 330 locations across the UK, our shops are many people's introduction to the British Red Cross, giving them an insight into what we do and what our brand represents.
We pride ourselves on providing a customer experience in line with our fundamental principles, and we’re proud of the contribution our shops make to supporting people in crisis.
Working here is a job unlike any other, with new exciting challenges every day as you work alongside a team of friendly and ambitious staff and volunteers who care about our cause.
See what our staff say
Lauren Brown, retail worker
What’s your favourite thing about working here?
My favourite thing about working for the British Red Cross is the way that every day is different.
You can get literally anything donated to the shop! It's always interesting thinking of ways to display the stock.
What’s a typical day like?
There's never a dull moment!
We meet customers from all walks of life and between general retail duties you also get the chance to have a real input on how the store is laid out.
What’s your team like?
I really enjoy the fact that I'm working with a group of people I wouldn't normally get to interact with. We have volunteers who are differently abled, students from around the world who are here learning English, and people who are over retirement age, so I wouldn't be working with them in a regular retail environment, and it's a fantastic learning opportunity for everyone involved.
What you get in return
As well as a rewarding career with a global charity, you'll get access to a wide range of enhanced benefits:
- Flexible working – Your work-life balance is important to us. We’ll do what we can to make sure you can work in a way which suits you and your lifestyle
- 36 days annual leave (including bank holidays) plus the chance to purchase 5 extra days leave – It’s time to refresh. We recognise the importance of plenty of time off to recharge
- Training and development opportunities – We want you to be the best you can be. We provide a range of courses and training opportunities to further your development
- Maternity, paternity, adoption, shared parental and careers leave – Take the time you need to care for your loved ones
- Wellbeing support and advice helpline – Mental health matters. We want all our staff to know they have someone to talk to when they need it most
- Pension scheme – We want you to feel secure in the knowledge you can look forward to a comfortable, happy retirement
- Employee discounts – As a British Red Cross member of staff, you will be eligible for a Blue Light Card which offers discounts at various well-known shops, restaurants, and brands
- Cycle to work scheme – Hop on your bike and get active. Your physical health and wellbeing is important to us
- Season ticket loan – We’ll provide an interest free loan to spread out the cost of your commute to work
You can read our family friendly policies.
The British Red Cross does not tolerate any form of misconduct, including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse. We have a code of conduct in place which all staff and volunteers are bound by.
We are fully committed to promoting an environment in which all staff, volunteers and those we seek to help feel empowered to report any misconduct.