Borrow a wheelchair
Borrow or hire a wheelchair from the British Red Cross for a single trip or for short-term use.
We provide wheelchairs:
- you can push yourself (self-propelled)
- someone else can push (transit)
- to suit your size and weight – from extra small (suitable for children over five) to extra large
- with accessories (for example, leg extension).
Find your local wheelchair service
How it works
We will need to know:
- the approximate weight of the wheelchair user
- if they have health conditions that may prevent them using it
- when they need the wheelchair.
You can then visit your local service to collect your wheelchair.
In some areas we offer a home delivery service (for an extra fee). You can contact your local service to check if home delivery is available.
Bring some photo identification (for example, passport or driving licence) and proof of your address (for example, a utility bill or bank statement).
You can keep a wheelchair for up to six weeks (with a possible extension to 12 weeks).
Our video guides and instruction leaflets explain how to use your wheelchair safely.
How much it costs
This depends on where you live.
In some locations, we charge for the service. In other places, we ask for a donation.
Search for your local location to see whether it will charge.
You can view a list of our charges. This fee helps us to cover the cost of the service.
If you cannot afford the charge, please contact your local service to discuss this as we may be able to help.
You can also buy a wheelchair from us.
Returning your wheelchair
Contact your nearest service to arrange to return your wheelchair.
It's important that you return your wheelchair on the date agreed so we can offer it to someone else who might need it.
This page is available in Welsh (Cymraeg).