How we spend your donations
73p in every £1 you donate helps people in crisis.
How we spend your money
Here's the breakdown of our spending in 2022, which was £366.7 million:
- 72.9% was spent helping people in crisis (excludes support costs). For example, crisis response, refugee support and international work.
- 16.4% was spent on fundraising and retail (excludes support costs).
- 10.7% was spent on support costs, such as human resources, IT, central management, finance and governance. This spending is essential for our organisation to run efficiently and allows us to help as many people in crisis as possible.
How your donation helps
We spent £300.1 million helping people in crisis in 2022.
In the UK:
- 7.4% was spent on crisis response
- 7.2% was spent on first aid education
- 8.1% was spent on refugee support
- 19.4% was spent on home care services.
In the rest of the world:
- 57.9% was spent on international emergency and response.
How we raise money
Our funds come from a variety of sources:
- 56.9% from donations
- 7.8% from our charity shops
- 8.4% is left to us in wills
- 13.9% from grants
- 11.1% from contracts (such as NHS contracts)
- 1.9% from other sources.
For a full breakdown of our income and expenditure, take a look at our annual report and accounts.