Refugee services careers
We use kindness to help those in crisis.
Every year thousands of refugees, asylum seekers and migrants arrive in the UK with little support, money or opportunities.
We support refugees in a wide variety of ways, such as providing food and clothes to those facing severe hardship and offering friendly advice to the most vulnerable.
We also help people look for family members, restore contact, reunite families and tries to find out what happened to those who are still missing.
We’re a diverse, busy team dotted all over the UK who share the common goal of doing what we can to make refugee lives that little bit brighter.
See what our staff say
David Feindouno, Refugee Support Service Manager
What do you most enjoy about your role?
I love every aspect of my work, but what I enjoy the most is putting a smile on people’s faces.
Do you have any specific examples?
I remember welcoming a family from Gambia in 2012. It was my first family reunion travel assistance case. Following a successful application, I escorted them to Bristol airport. The smile and tears of joy I saw on their faces is simply priceless and that’s when you know you love the work you do.
What you get in return
As well as a rewarding career with a global charity, you'll get access to a wide range of enhanced benefits:
- Flexible working – Your work-life balance is important to us. We’ll do what we can to make sure you can work in a way which suits you and your lifestyle
- 36 days annual leave plus the chance to purchase 5 extra days leave – It’s time to refresh. We recognise the importance of plenty of time off to recharge
- Training and development opportunities – We want you to be the best you can be. We provide a range of courses and training opportunities to further your development
- Maternity, paternity, adoption, shared parental and careers leave – Take the time you need to care for your loved ones
- Wellbeing support and advice helpline – Mental health matters. We want all our staff to know they have someone to talk to when they need it most
- Pension scheme – We want you to feel secure in the knowledge you can look forward to a comfortable, happy retirement
- Employee discounts – As a British Red Cross member of staff, you will be eligible for a Blue Light Card which offers discounts at various well-known shops, restaurants, and brands
- Cycle to work scheme – Hop on your bike and get active. Your physical health and wellbeing is important to us
- Season ticket loan – We’ll provide an interest free loan to spread out the cost of your commute to work
You can read our family friendly policies.
The British Red Cross does not tolerate any form of misconduct, including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse. We have a code of conduct in place which all staff and volunteers are bound by.
We are fully committed to promoting an environment in which all staff, volunteers and those we seek to help feel empowered to report any misconduct.