Aviation and clear communication
A light-hearted activity practising clear communication and discussing its role in avoiding emergencies.
- Quick activity, photo
- Disasters and emergencies, Newsthink
The aviation industry has been marking a safe year for airline passengers during 2017. There were no fatalities reported on commercial jet aircraft, and no passenger jets crashed anywhere in the world.
This fun activity explores the idea of communicating clearly and safely to avoid accidents, and allows learners to practise giving instructions in the style of an air traffic controller.
- consider which elements are important for people to work safely
- understand the importance of clear communication in avoiding accidents
- practise giving and confirming instructions.
- Learners will discuss what they think is important in working safely in aviation and are introduced to the idea of clear communication. They will then practise giving instructions in the style of an air traffic controller, and responding to confirm instructions as the pilot.
This resource was written by P J White of Alt62 and published in January 2018.
The photo of a pilot flying a plane © Choja/iStock.