Learn how to use a commode, toilet seat and toilet frame
Watch a video or download written instructions on how to use a toilet aid
How to use a commode
Red Cross commodes are all height adjustable and come with three main parts: a commode chair, a cushion seat and a commode pot. Before and after using your commode, there are a few things you should do:
- Adjust the height to ensure your feet are flat on the floor when using the commode.
- Insert the commode pot and cushion - removing the pot lid before use.
- After using the commode, lift the toilet seat on the commode.
- Remove and empty the commode pot using the handle.
- After each use, always clean the pot with hot water and detergent.
How to use a raised toilet seat
Red Cross raised toilet seats are available in three sizes: 2”, 4” and 6” seats. They can support a maximum weight of up to 191kg/30 stone. Before and after using your raised toilet seat, there are a few things you should do:
- To fit your raised toilet seat, raise your fixed toilet seat and lid.
- Loosen the fixing brackets on the raised toilet seat.
- Place the raised toilet seat onto the centre of the toilet bowl rim.
- Tighten the fixing brackets on the seat by hand, turning clockwise until the raised toilet seat is secure and does not move.
- Your feet should touch the floor when in a seated position.
- To remove, lift the raised toilet seat from the back by pulling up and forward.
How to use a toilet frame
Red Cross toilet frames are all height adjustable. Before and after using your toilet frame, there are a few things you should do:
- Adjust the height of the toilet frame one leg at a time by pushing the spring button on the toilet frame leg.
- Shorten or lengthen the toilet frame leg as required.
- Secure the spring button in the appropriate hole.
- Ensure the height is appropriate, and all legs are the same length.
- Place the frame around the toilet bowl.
- The bar should be at the front, and the handles on either side.
How to use a Mowbray toilet frame and seat
The Mowbray toilet frame and seat is height adjustable and comes with two parts: the frame, and the seat that clips onto it. Before and after using your Mowbray toilet frame and seat, there are a few things you should do:
- Remove the seat from the frame.
- Turn the frame upside down to adjust the height.
- Push the spring button on the frame leg.
- Shorten or lengthen the legs as needed.
- Once you’ve found the right height, secure the button in the appropriate hole.
- Adjust the remaining legs, one at a time - ensuring all legs are the same.
- Once you’d adjusted the height, clip the white plastic seat back on the frame.
- Lift your toilet seat up, and place the Mowbray toilet frame and seat over it.
Watch the video or download toilet Mowbray toilet frame and seat instructions (PDF).
How to take care of your toilet aid
When hiring a toilet frame or commode, it’s important to take care of your equipment. Here are some tips to help.
- All parts can be cleaned with soap and hot water (up to 85°C).
- Adjusting screws can be popped out of the brackets for cleaning.
- Regularly check the brackets to ensure that the toilet seat is secure.
- Ensure the rubber bracket pad and toilet bowl have full contact.
- Be careful not to exceed the recommended weight (this will vary).
- Avoid holding onto the seat for support when using the seat.
- Do not stand on the raised toilet seat.
What to do if your toilet frame, seat or commode is damaged?
All Red Cross equipment undergoes a safety check before each loan. It’s still important to regularly check your equipment for any signs of damage. If your equipment is damaged, or if you have any queries, call our team on 0300 456 1914 to arrange a replacement.