Be an ambulance volunteer
Help support people with COVID-19 get to and from hospital
Use your skills as a qualified first aider or driver to transport people in your community.
Our patient transport service volunteers provide an essential service to help people get to and from hospital/treatment facilities. As a volunteer you will be given the chance to use your skills to help some of the most vulnerable people in your community.
Transporting people volunteer
As a volunteer driver, you will provide support to a co-worker and assist with moving people. You will also:
- check the welfare of the person and that they have essential supplies
- refer the person to other support available if needed.
To take on this role, you must have experience of driving larger vehicles and we would welcome anyone with previous Midas or ambulance driving experience.
I really love this job, being involved in patient transport, it is amazing. Sometimes people are worried that they need to pay for the service and when we tell them no, your smile to us is rewarding enough, this is why I love this job.ELISA, BRITISH RED CROSS TRANSPORT VOLUNTEER
Specialist NHS volunteer
You will provide health care and transport support to people in your local community, and also:
- treat patients and transferring them to hospital if needed
- complete all tasks associated with first aid delivery, including paperwork and cleaning to approved infection control schedules.
To take on this role, you must have one of the following qualifications and experience working in an ambulance:
- Level 3 Certificate in First Response Emergency Care - FREC 3 Qualsafe
- Level 4 Certificate in First Response Emergency Care - FREC 4 Qualsafe
- Level 5 Diploma in First Response Emergency and Urgent Care - FREC 5 Qualsafe
- IHCD Technician Course (BTEC or Pearsons)
- Paramedic Qualification
- Enhanced/BTEC Certificate for First Person on Scene
- Level 4 Certificate for First Person on Scene
- AOFAQ Level 3 Award in First Person on Scene - intermediate
- Pearson BTEC Level 4 Extended Certificate for First Person on Scene.